Wednesday, March 17, 2010

A drop in the bucket bottle




As I posted recently, I bought a two-gallon pump sprayer to make bokashi juice application easier this year. And the first thing I did (after rinsing out the bottle) was to hook a 1/8 cup plastic measuring spoon to the collar, with a note to myself written on it in permanent marker. It says, simply, 1x.

1/8 cup. That's how much bokashi juice goes into two gallons of water here at the house of buckets. It sometimes seem like too little, but it's right--the ratio's usually given as 1:100, but that ratio changes depending on the authority and intended usage. Specifically, for "pot plants" or container plantings, many of the retail sites recommend using only half as much as for trees and outdoor gardens. Outdoor container plants aren't addressed. By, so far as I can tell, anyone.

Argh. -G-

Naturally, I prefer a mix that's safe for what I'm doing, and bokashi juice is probably a supplement more than a primary food-source for my plants these days, so I'm erring on the side of caution. Don't want to burn any roots or wrigglers!

[image from Ace Hardware, as is the sprayer pictured.]

No comments: